Tags

employment
llc
xrp
redhat
ripple
interfaces
ncurses
ruby
refs
filesystems
retro gaming
raspberry pi
sinatra
3d printing
nethack
gcc
compiler
fedora
virtfs
project
gaming
vim
grep
sed
aikido
philosophy
splix
android
lvm
storage
bitcoin
projects
sig315
miq
db
polisher
meditation
hopex
conferences
omega
simulator
bundler_ext
rubygems
book review
google code in
isitfedoraruby
svn
gsoc
design patters
jsonrpc
rjr
aeolus
ohiolinuxfest
rome
europe
travel
brno
gtk
python
puppet
conference
fudcon
html5
snap
tips
ssh
linux
hardware
libvirt
virtualization
engineering expo
cloud
redmine
plugins
rpm
yum
rake
screencasting
jruby
fosscon
pidgin
gnome-shell
distros
notacon
presentation
rails
deltacloud
apache
qmf
passenger
syrlug
hackerspace
music
massive attack
backups
crypto
vnc
xsd
rxsd
x3d
mercurial
webdev
ovirt
qpid
haikus
poetry
legaleese
jquery
selenium
testing
xpath
git
sshfs
svg
ldap
autotools
pygtk
xmlrpc
slackware

Jun 6 2008 hardware linux

More Linux Hardware Fun

I love Linux but hate when things don’t just ‘work out of the box’ (definitely not a Linux-only problem though). Well, recently I bought a PC off ebay to use for a media center I’m setting up and ran into some woes with the Ethernet card. I always expect wireless problems but it has been years since I had an issue with a wired network card. Alas, after quite a bit of Googling I found my answer ( here ) and figured I’d share it incase anyone else was wondering.

First my card, courteous of lspci -vvv

02:09.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)
    Subsystem: Unknown device 4554:434e
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- SERR- 
    Kernel driver in use: dmfe
    Kernel modules: dmfe, tulip

As you can see the drivers came w/ Linux and the system had no problem detecting the card. The problem arose when the interface was brought up, dhclient was run, and an IP address was requested. Consistently in /var/log/messages (also output w/ the dmesg command), I saw:

Jun  6 16:13:22 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
Jun  6 16:13:28 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
Jun  6 16:13:38 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
Jun  6 16:13:56 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
Jun  6 16:14:13 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
Jun  6 16:14:23 localhost dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
Jun  6 16:21:39 localhost kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode

The weird thing was, when I went to my router’s web interface from another computer, and looked at the DHCP client table, I could see an entry for my PC’s MAC w/ an assigned IP. After fruitlessly trying fiddle w/ the router and desktop, I searched around and found it to be a driver issue. Everything worked fine and dandy after I restarted and ran the following commands (as root):

/sbin/ifdown eth0
/sbin/modprobe -r tulip dmfe
/sbin/modprobe -i dmfe
/sbin/ifup eth0

Supposidly there is an issue w/ the tulip driver (why its enabled by default confounds me) which dmfe works just fine. After doing this I finally was connected to my network. One minor fluke happend of the first shot though, I was able to access machines (both locally and on the internet) via ip address but all DNS lookups failed. The problem dissapeared after I restarted my machine and ran the aforementioned commands, and hasn’t returned, so I dismissed it as a minor fluke. Hope this helped!