Brother MFC 240c printer / scannner and Linux Dec 14, 2011
- Turn off the printer, connect the usb cable
- sudo yum install glibc.i386 # need this if your running x86_64
- sudo rpm -ivh http://solutions.brother.com/Library/sol/printer/linux/rpmfiles/lpr_others/mfc240clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
- sudo rpm -ivh http://solutions.brother.com/Library/sol/printer/linux/rpmfiles/cups_wrapper/mfc240ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
- Turn printer back on (if your printer was on all along, power cycle it, this is important)
Installing the cups wrapper driver rpm should restart cups after which the printer should be ready to go!
OK I lied, you may need to disable selinux, i had it in permissive mode and the printer wasn't working until I disabled it completely. Also if you're running a 64 bit distro creating this symbolic link might help if its still not working: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/cups/ /usr/lib64/cups
The scanner is equally as simple (detailed instructions can be found here)
- sudo rpm -ivh http://solutions.brother.com/Library/sol/printer/linux/rpmfiles/sane_others/64bit/brscan2-0.2.4-0.x86_64.rpm
- sudo yum install xsane # or whatever other scanner software you want to use
- Scan Away!