Tags

employment
llc
xrp
redhat
ripple
interfaces
ncurses
ruby
refs
filesystems
retro gaming
raspberry pi
sinatra
3d printing
nethack
gcc
compiler
fedora
virtfs
project
gaming
vim
grep
sed
aikido
philosophy
splix
android
lvm
storage
bitcoin
projects
sig315
miq
db
polisher
meditation
hopex
conferences
omega
simulator
bundler_ext
rubygems
book review
google code in
isitfedoraruby
svn
gsoc
design patters
jsonrpc
rjr
aeolus
ohiolinuxfest
rome
europe
travel
brno
gtk
python
puppet
conference
fudcon
html5
snap
tips
ssh
linux
hardware
libvirt
virtualization
engineering expo
cloud
redmine
plugins
rpm
yum
rake
screencasting
jruby
fosscon
pidgin
gnome-shell
distros
notacon
presentation
rails
deltacloud
apache
qmf
passenger
syrlug
hackerspace
music
massive attack
backups
crypto
vnc
xsd
rxsd
x3d
mercurial
webdev
ovirt
qpid
haikus
poetry
legaleese
jquery
selenium
testing
xpath
git
sshfs
svg
ldap
autotools
pygtk
xmlrpc
slackware

Feb 16 2007

Cell Phone Missing

Unfortunately after one and a half years, I’ve misplaced my v710 cell phone for the first time. I really liked this phone (despite having to go through hell unlocking all the features which Verizon promoted but disabled on the phone), and really don’t want to buy another, especially since my contract is up in April, after which I am planning on discontinuing my Verizon account (overpriced, and not worth it). In the meantime (until I find it or buy a new one) I will only be able to be reached via email and aim. (with my luck, its burried under the 11 feet of snow we got this week!)

Jan 23 2007

Disabling mplayerplug-in mp3 support in Firefox 2

I use my personal server to store my multimedia so that I can access it from any computer in my house. The other day, I found Ampache,a really nifty web-based utility that allowed me to access and listen to my music from any web browser. While this is a great addon to my infrastructure, I became quickly annoyed as Firefox 2.0 installed on Slackware on my laptop would default to using the mplayerplug-in to play my selected music. (I’d rather open playlists in xmms or amarok). After a bit of unsuccessful searching as to rectifying the problem from the firefox interface (not sure why you cant manually edit “File Type” associations in the preferences configuration), I found this tutorial on how to modify the mplayerplug-in settings, http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/config.php

Simply, just follow these steps (close firefox before you start): 1) If you have root access and want to change this for the entire system, edit /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf, else modify ~/.mozilla/mplayerplug-in.conf or ~/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf (either works equally well)

2) Add the following line to the bottom of the file: enable-mp3=0

3) If you are modifying the /etc file (your root), run the following command: touch /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so (might be /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so on your system)

If you are modifying one of the local mplayer config files in your home dir, run the following command: rm .mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

Next time you start firefox, you can navigate to about:plugins to make sure mp3/m3u support is disabled. Next time you try to open a mp3/m3u, firefox will prompt your to save/open the program, at which point you can select xmms/amarok and instruct firefox to always use that to open the file type.

Jan 19 2007

Here we go again....

This is my second attempt at a blog, which in itself is a small part of my entire network overhaul. I’ve learned alot from my previous attempts, and hopefully this time around everything will go smoothly as planned and I’ll get some visitors to the site ;-) Regardless, look forward to the start of commentary on a great deal of issues in the coming weeks. Hope to see you back again!